Tips to Avoid Fires in the Kitchen
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and the leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking!
The American Red Cross offers many helpful suggestions to help avoid fires in the kitchen.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use a timer to remember that the stove or oven is on.
- Don’t wear loose clothing or sleeves while cooking.
- Keep children away from the cooking area.
- Keep flammable items away from the stove or oven.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to avoid the buildup of grease.
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand and understand how to use it properly.
- Make it a routine to check the kitchen before leaving the home or going to bed each night to ensure that the stove and oven is turned off.
- Install working smoke alarms near the kitchen and on each floor of the home, near bedrooms.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries regularly so that they are always in good working order.
SERVPRO of Kenton County is locally owned and operated so we are ready and able to respond quickly to any fire damage emergency. If you find yourself in any fire damage situation, give us a call! 859-261-2400