Suggested Safety Tips for the Use of Portable Space Heaters
As we get deeper into the colder months, and many are looking for supplemental heat sources, it is important to remember that heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires in the United States. Portable space heaters are very popular this time of year and, if not used with caution, can present significant fire hazards.
Following are some useful tips that should be considered when using portable space heaters:
- Make sure the space heater has the label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing lab.
- Inspect heaters for any damage prior to use.
- Never leave a space heater unattended.
- Always keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use extension cords or power strips.
- Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Place space heaters on flat, level surfaces.
While portable space heaters are very convenient and can be a great source of supplemental heat during the winter months, they can definitely pose a significant fire risk if not used with caution. Safety should always be the top priority when using space heaters!
SERVPRO of Kenton County specializes in fire damage restoration. CLICK HERE to learn more about our professional fire damage restoration services.