Emergency Storm Damage Assistance
Did you know that SERVPRO offers emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Fire, water, and storm damage doesn’t always strike during regular business hours. And often, at the most inconvenient times, homeowners find themselves in need of immediate service to secure their property after an emergency event.
SERVPRO can provide temporary protective measures to prevent additional damage to the property after a disaster. Examples of these services include board ups, roof tarps, tree removal, temporary fencing and portable power. If after a fire or flood, the contents of a property need to be removed from the affected property during the restoration process, SERVPRO of Northwest Cincinnati can pack the contents and move them to our temporary warehouse location until the restoration process is complete. And once restoration is complete, the contents are then returned to the homeowners.
Safety tips at the office
Accidents often happen at the office that could be prevented with just a little common sense! Slips and falls frequently cause injury at the office and a little thought and care could help prevent this.
- Before sitting down at your desk, check behind you to make sure your chair hasn’t rolled away!
- If you are carrying something, don’t stack things up so high that you can’t see directly in front of you!
- Proceed with caution if the floor is wet or slippery!
- Don’t read or text while walking!
- Hold the handrail when using stairs!
- When carrying larger items like boxes, use the elevator!
- Close desk and file drawers before walking away to avoid tripping over them!
- Wipe up spills or wet floors in order to prevent slipping!
- Keep floors and aisles clear of electrical cords.
While it may seem easy to follow these tips, often times a hectic day at work can lead to rushing or just overlooking the small things that can be dangerous! Just slowing down a little bit to ensure safety can definitely save time in the future!
Importance of Air quality
Over time, HVAC systems can get dirty and then potentially circulate dust, pollen, mold, or other contaminants throughout a home or business. This risk for poor air quality makes it important to have the HVAC system routinely inspected and maintained.
The SERVPRO professionals can inspect HVAC systems and make recommendations about the best way to address air quality concerns. Maintaining the HVAC system not only provides cleaner air to breathe, but it saves money by allowing the system to run more efficiently. It can also help eliminate odors as well as reduce the potential for mold growth.
Make it a priority to have your HVAC system and ductwork routinely inspected.
Fires can be devastating. SERVPRO is here to help!
According to ready.gov, a fire can spread quickly, becoming life threatening in just two minutes. And in just five minutes, an entire home can be taken over by flames.
In the event of a fire it is important to know what precautions to take to help ensure that you escape safely.
- Stay low, crawling under the smoke to the exit
- Before opening a door, feel if it is hot. If it is hot, do not open the door and find another exit. If you do open the door, open it very slowly and be prepared to shut it quickly if smoke or fire is present.
- Tell firefighters right away if pets are trapped inside.
- If you are unable to escape, close all doors, cover vents and cracks around doors with cloth, call 911 explaining where you are, and signal from a window with a light cloth or flashlight.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll!
Fires can be devastating, spreading quickly and leaving little time to plan an escape. Being prepared by learning important safety measures and planning escapes can help ensure safety in the unfortunate event of a fire disaster.
SERVPRO provides emergency service following fire damage. Our fire technicians respond quickly to secure the site and can help restore the structure as well as its contents following a fire.
SERVPRO preloss plan for your water loss
Studies show that after experiencing a disaster like a fire, tornado, or flood, many businesses never reopen or if they do survive, will shut down within 2 years following the disaster. As a business owner or manager, pre-planning ensures that emergency resources are available to you when you need them. This is why it is essential to have an emergency response plan and partner in place. Our professionals at SERVPRO can help you put an emergency plan in place that will help protect your business from disaster.
With the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan, SERVPRO becomes an important part of your disaster response plan by meeting with building administrators to collect site-specific information to ensure readiness should disaster strike. This information includes building layout, electrical, equipment and water protocols, etc.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Water Damages need to be mitigated
Sometimes water damage or even excess humidity in a property can lead to mold damage as well. The SERVPRO technicians are highly trained in water and mold damage restoration. When it comes to mold damage, it’s usually best to let the professionals do the work. But what if you want to attempt to safely clean the moldy areas yourself? What should you wear?
It is important to avoid breathing in mold or mold spores. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers safety guidelines to handling mold in your home. In order to limit exposure to airborne mold, they recommend wearing an N-95 respirator during the cleaning process, which can be found at many hardware stores.
The EPA also suggests wearing long gloves that extend to the middle of the forearm. It is important to avoid touching mold or moldy items with your bare hands.
And finally, goggles that do not have ventilation holes are recommended. It is important to prevent getting mold or mold spores from getting into your eyes.
While some minor surface mold issues can be handled effectively by the homeowner, it is best to have professional help with larger mold infestations. SERVPRO has the specialized mold remediation equipment and the highly trained mold remediation technicians necessary to handle any size mold infestation. If you find a mold situation that is too much to handle on your own, contact us today!
Many times when water damage occurs in a home or commercial property, it is due to faulty plumbing. Those without plumbing experience may have a difficult time recognizing potential issues and then addressing these issues before they become a bigger, more expensive problem.
According to thecleanplumbers.com, there are eight common causes of plumbing leaks that can lead to water damage to a property.
- Advanced Corrosion – Over an extended period of time, corrosion can damage pipes and create holes where water can escape. This is a more common issue in piping that was installed over 30 years ago.
- Degraded Seals – In order to keep connections watertight, rubber seals are used wherever the pipes are connected to the fixtures. Over time, these seals can degrade and crack, allowing water to seep out and eventually cause damage.
- Excess Water Pressure – Water pressure that is too high can actually damage the inside of the plumbing pipes and create a risk for leaks. If the pressure is extremely high, it can even cause the pipes to burst.
- Fixture Cracks – Sometimes the actual faucet or pipe that connects directly to it can crack and cause a water leak. This usually happens due to impact. One area that this is common is under the sink. When items are stored under the sink, the pipes are often repeatedly bumped and can eventually lead to pipe damage and water leaks.
- Incorrect Pipe Laying – Plumbing should be handled by knowledgeable professionals. It is very important that pipes and connectors are laid properly because small mistakes that at first may not be noticeable can cause massive water damage later.
- Pipe Joint Damage – The bends or joints where the water is redirected through the pipes are curved connectors that attach to the straight pipes on either side. Extreme temperatures and water pressure can damage these joints and lead to water damage.
- Shifted Connections – Over time, homes can shift and therefore, so can the pipes inside. If the shifts are too much, the pipe connections can break and water damage occurs.
- Untreated Clogs – It seems obvious how clogged drains can lead to backups and water damage. But how the clogs are treated can also cause pipe damage. Chemical drain cleaners are often used to unclog drains. At times these chemicals do not remove the entire clog which causes the harmful chemicals to be trapped in one spot in the pipe system. The chemicals can then eat away at the pipe, eventually causing damage and a water leak. It is safer to treat clogs with a plumbing snake or hydro-jetting.
Hopefully learning how to recognize potential plumbing problems and how to address the issues will help you avoid future water damage to your property. But in the unfortunate event that you do end up with a water damage disaster contact SERVPRO.
Flash Floods with Rainfall
Flash floods are usually caused by excessive rainfall that occurs in a short period of time. They are dangerous because they are powerful, speedy and unpredictable. They can happen with little or no warning at all.
Densely populated areas are at a high risk for flash floods. Buildings, roads and parking lots in the area reduce the amount of rain absorbed by the ground. Sometimes streams that run through cities are routed into storm drains. These drains can become overwhelmed and flash flooding can result.
Areas near rivers are also at risk for flash flooding. If levees along rivers fail, flash flooding can result. In 2005, New Orleans experienced devastating floods during Hurricane Katrina due to the failure of the levees.
Dam failures and rapid runoff from mountains and steep hills can also cause flash flooding. When water is falling faster than the ground can absorb it, a dangerous, flooding condition can result.
No area is really immune to flash flooding. During storms it is important to pay attention to weather watches and warnings and take the necessary precautions. Always listen to forecasters and be prepared with a plan in place just in case a flash flooding situation arises!
Storm Damage leads to Water Issues
When it comes to storm and other weather-related damage, many people only think of the exterior structural damage to their property like fallen trees and damaged roofs. But what some people fail to realize is that exterior storm damage can often lead to interior water damage to their property. Water will always travel the path of least resistance and unfortunately after exterior structural damage to a property, this often means the water will end up inside the property. A quick response is crucial to help limit the additional interior damage. In the event of water or storm damage, SERVPRO responds immediately, any time, day or night. We understand the importance of responding quickly to help prevent secondary damage and reduce restoration costs. Roofing service, board ups, roof tarps and tree removal are all among the emergency services we provide. Additionally, we are experts in water damage restoration and provide professional and efficient service to our customers.
Commercial Fire Loss
WHAT IF YOUR BUSINESS SUFFERS A FIRE LOSS?
According to the U.S. Fire Administration – Federal Emergency Management Agency, from 2017 to 2019, fire departments responded to about 86,500 nonresidential building fires in the United States. These fires resulted in $2.6 billion in property losses which accounted for 22 percent of the total dollar loss from all fires (residential and nonresidential). Because nonresidential fires include commercial properties, these fires can lead to a significant economic impact on communities due to lost jobs and closed businesses.
Fire damage can be devastating for a business property. In addition to the fire and smoke damage, water damage can also occur due to the efforts of firefighters and sprinkler systems. Many times, after suffering a fire loss, businesses are forced to temporarily shut down. And in some instances, the damage is so devastating that the business in unable to recover and closes permanently. Commercial restoration presents different challenges. SERVPRO has the training and expertise in both commercial fire and commercial water restoration and understands that every hour spent restoring a business to pre-fire condition is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. We offer 24 hour emergency service to businesses and communities. We respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the project through to completion in order to get the business back up and running as quickly as possible.
So if your business experiences a fire loss emergency, call SERVPRO for immediate response. We are a trusted leader in the fire and water restoration industry and we will work tirelessly to get you back to business.